Saturday, April 18, 2009

Friday April 17

Friday - 4hour bike and 1 hour run

This ride was a great one... I intended to go out and ride at 150 watts and ride strong so that I could run strong. I met up with Greg and Simon and we headed out towards the Jackson's point for a hot dog.

Once we were out, there was a strong head wind so the plan was still around 150 watts but I knew that it would have been smarter to have a cadence of 90 or better and if that happenned to show 150 watts then great.

We stopped in Willow beach for a hot dog and a break and then once again at Musslemans lake just to recoup. All told we travelled 4hrs and covered 106 kms - slightly above 26Kmph - which I wasn't disappointed about but the great part came on the run. Greg gave me a 5k route and it turned out to be a nice route - little bit of uphills and a little down. I went out strong, letting my legs do the work. I wasn't sure how they were going to fire given that I wasn't feeling the run "love" lately since Around the Bay. I finished the first loop at 25:48 - wow 5:10 pace - incredible after a 4hour ride. Off I went for the second loop and again felt strong. I finished the second loop with a dead even time split of 51:25. I felt incredible! I could have kept going and that was a great feeling.

I'm glad I kept the bike ride relaxed because I now truly understand that need to ride relaxed to run strong and feel good about it as opposed to that first five minute hobble until your legs start to work. Next time I think I would push a little closer to 27kmph since the goal is 6:30 for the bike.

For the first long ride outside - it was a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment