Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Sunday May 24 - Race Day

Race Day 400m swim 15km bike and 5km run

So because Nathan was doing his first race today I decided to enter this race for adults that started much earlier in the morning.  There was something about Milton that I didn’t want to be part of – maybe it was all the P3’s and Aero helmets in the try a try.

The swim was in the local Caledon Public pool – an 18m pool with 4 lanes.  Waves were set off in 10 min sets with 8 people per wave.  Hans Portan – Yes the same guy from the masters swim meet who was out of the water 6 min ahead of me in the 1500 race, was sharing a lane with me… I asked him not to lap me too many times, he laughed  - Too humble…

In effect he only lapped me once in the 400m and I came out of the water with my fastest 400m swim at 6:45.  Dave said my first 100 was close to 1:18 – Wow…

The bike was 5 laps of 3km – kind of silly but I’m glad I brought my road bike with all the corners and gears to change.  I thought I finished the bike just under 30min – I was having slow transitions today and added a couple min here and there.

The run was strong!  I felt great! And my issue with my Achilles was gone with my new shoes in tow…  The route was a little up and down so it wasn’t my fastest 5km (Toronto Island 2yrs ago 22:20) and this one was 22:50 at a pace of 4:36.  I was pretty pleased. 

My finishing time was 1:03 and low and behold an age group win – yes a win – first place in the 30-34 age group!  Wow that’s a first ever for me.

 

Nathan’s race,

I was really excited for Nathan today and so was he.  We spent some time the night before and packed his bag.  In hind sight – packed too much stuff but it was a fun experience.    He loved getting together his favourite t-shirt and socks and making sure his helmet fit and tires were pumped up. 

His actual race was about 4min since the swim was one length of that 18m pool and the bike was to the end of the parking lot and then the run was to the finish line…

He loved going to get his race number and go through body marking – he thought it tickled…

We then got changed and went to hang out near the pool to wait for our wave to be called.  When we went into the pool, we saw all the kids putting on life jackets.  Nathan was smiling because he knew that he was going to be the only kid in his wave without one – because he actually didn’t need one.  He has been taking swim lessons for 2 solid years now and he can use big arms and actually do a couple strokes before pausing. 

So we both got into the water and waited to start, and then some lady who worked for the race came up to Nathan and asked him if he wanted a jacket because the water was deep – well that spooked him and although he said no she then went and begged me to have a noodle to hold onto.  I didn’t want one but she begged and I didn’t want to have an argument in front of Nate. 

When the race started, Nate threw his plan out the window and decided that he was going to hang onto me for the length.  I could have killed that lady but Nate was having fun and that’s all that mattered. 

When we got out of the water he was on cloud nine.  He ran down the shoot and was waving and giggling and having a blast.  He loved the fact that he was going to ride his bike in a wet bathing suit. 

We got his shoes and socks and shirt on and then put his helmet on jumped on his bike.  I didn’t realize but the bike ride was to the end of the parking lot down a hill and he flew – I had trouble keeping up with him. 

At the end of the parking lot, they re racked the bikes and he took off towards the finish line – another 100m away. 

He crossed the finish line smiling – he had a blast! He loved his meddle and was wearing it all day. 

Overall a great experience – Something I think he would like to do again.  He was also impressed to see the older kids doing it on their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment