Saturday, May 2, 2009

Saturday May 2nd

5hrs and 1hr run

I was invited up to Ari's and Oren's cottage for the day today. So I left last night and went up and stayed over... They've recently gotten into cycling and it's fun being a part of their adventures... Oren actually did the Ride to conquer cancer last year with me.

When we woke up this morning, man it was COLD! we futsed around for a bit trying to wait for the sun to warm things... The thermometer outside read about 2degress... Man did I pack wrong, I forgot gloves, and a hat. I basically put everything on that I had and we got ready to go. I opted not to put my booties on (another mistake) thinking that I would regret it by around noon. I was supposed to be 13ish degrees today but as it turned out that was only at around 4pm.
We agreed that we would ride to the local Tim Horton's in Gravenhurst and have breakfast, and wait for the sun to heat things a little more.
When we left it was warmer but only a little... The head wind was strong and that really caused much of the frozen feelings on the day.
By about 15km my computer decided that the battery that was charging all night was not going to work... so the rest of the day was on Heart Rate and feel...
I am quite pleased that with little info to go on, I was fairly confidently able to ride at what felt like 90ish rpm and keep the speed in and around 27ish....
We headed from Gravenhurst out to Bracebridge to Windermere and then back to Bracebridge and home. By the time we got back to Bracebridge, Oren's back was killing him and we were both fairly miserable about the cold. So home it was... which turned out to be a good decision because about 10 after we got home it poured so hard that seemed like it was coming down in sheets...

Dave suggested that this be a hilly ride and really I'm not sure I could have found anything more hilly. I'm glad like I said before that I still played it smart and took easy gears up the big hills and pushed by feel watching my HR to be my guide...

Overall a good day but cold...

No comments:

Post a Comment