Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Getting Started

March 11, 2009

So with approximately 130 days to go to Lake Placid, I thought it might be as good a time as ever to start a blog and document the next five and a half months.

Why a blog? Well, I've been inspired by my friend Greg's blog reading it day in and day out now for well over a year and seeing his transformation has been incredible. Much in the same way, I too want to document what is going to be the biggest athletic accomplishment of my life. I want my kids to read this years from now and realize the sacrifices that I have my made to bring a healthy lifestyle to our house. These are not just my sacrifices, my wife, Sandra has stood by me, allowing me to train all morning in the basement on the weekends, taking the kids food shopping (you should see it - three kids hanging off the cart and food over flowing - yes that's her).

Why Ironman? For those of you who have never heard of this, an ironman is a triathlon event that involves swimming, cycling and running right after each other. Ironman is not just any triathlon it's the big one... it involves a 3.8km swim, 180km bike ride and a full marathon (42.2 km). Why Triathlon? Well I've been running for some time and after having completed several half marathons a friend at the local running room put me up to the challenge of taking on a triathlon. I had heard about the sport from a parent at the school that I used to teach at and was incredibly impressed by his constant training and determination. At 185 pounds I knew changes had to be made.

That first race was a high... Orillia 2006 - tons of people and I remember thinking are there really that many people that do this? The real thing I remember about that race was that "man this is tiring". I had done the basic amount of training and it got me through the race. I made it... That month, after the race, I signed up with a local swim club in Newmarket called NTT and outfitted myself my very own triathlon bike - my Yellow rocket as I called it. I was so proud of myself and so excited that I had entered such a hobby.  That winter I discovered Peter Oyler's garage - a place where 12 other riders gathered a number of times a week for coached riding.  Then, that March Adam took me on as one of his athletes to help me prepare in a more focussed manner for the coming season.  

Now, Three seasons later, 30 pounds lighter, a great deal stronger I embark on the Ironman Journey.  I've invested myself mentally and financially in this sport.  Some would say I've gone over board getting all the toys - the road bike, the tri bike, the power meter etc.  However, who doesn't spend money on thing they get excited.  At 32, this is a lifetime adventure and I'm excited, somewhat nervous - but then again, who isn't at the prospect of spending 12 odd hours moving - exerting yourself over 140miles.  

So read my logs, enjoy, comment if you wish as the coming months bring me closer and closer to my goal.  

No comments:

Post a Comment