Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Lake Placid Weekend

I was really looking forward to this weekend... It was going to be the determining weekend to break any mental barriers down that would prevent me from thinking that I couldn't do this race.
We Got there on Friday and the weather wasn't great - somewhat chilly and wet the whole weekend..Since we arrived early we drove around on the bike course and then checked in and went down to the lake - thank god for that swim cap because it was COLD. I swam out to the first bouy while the others were deciding to go or not. My face was freezing... Then I just went for it... After about 10min everything was fine and I was happy that I went... We swam for an hour and acording to the GPS it said 4.5km - something didn't seem right. The actual swim course wasn't there - it was modified, so I was able to follow the line and that wet suit was incredible...
Saturday the two loops were good. I had one flat - the roads were really rough and the wind coming back into Lake Placid was really strong so it was tough. Running time on the 180km including the flat was 7:05 (I'd say 635 without) - I might consider going slightly easier next time and the 45min run was really strong - my pace was 5:30kms and my hr was low 150s. I was really proud. The group that did the reverse loop took 1.5hrs to climb 10miles into the wind... Not fun..
Sunday my 2hr run was strong but my legs were a little heavy... I covered the loop in 2:03 with my hr 145-150.
All told it was a great weekend - I'm glad that I went. Now with 6/7 weeks to go, I know that I can do this and that my training is working. I now look forward to it and not feel nervous about it...
I tried a one piece tri -suit that Dave gave me to try for the race. It was a typical trisuit but had a beefed up shammy that you could run with as well. It was great and very comfy - just hard to "pit stop" in....
I'm really glad to have a supportive family to allow me to do this.. it really means a lot....

No comments:

Post a Comment