Wednesday, March 9, 2011

To test or not to test..

Another week has gone by and it's amazing that before you know it spring will be here and with that hopefully some nicer weather. Today a rain/snow mix is in the forecast and I could really do without both. Just one is more then fine...

Another couple of days and then I'll be off to Cleremont Florida for 6 nights to enjoy some bike riding, outdoor swimming at the NTC's amazing outdoor 5om pool and some great runs along the incredible orange grove trails. Hopefully I'll have the ability to post a few pictures while there so you can see the fun that were having. But first I'll have to get through the drive down. There'll be 4 drivers this time and hopefully it'll be a really easy drive down and back.

So a question that I've been debating recently is to Lactate balance test or lactate threshold test or not. Dave and Lisa have never been big fans of getting tested as they can be barriers to potential improvement. As a result they believe that perceived exertion should be the guideline to follow. In doing this, you would eventually see what numbers are consistiently manageable and which ones are unrealistic.

I guess the question is, are they ultimately doing the same thing? Percieved may get you there slower while getting tested may be unnatural because in any test sitution, you always bring your "A" game and your numbers may be stronger because of the adreneline.

I have found myself questioning this because in the last couple weeks, Dave has been pushing me to do some real hard efforts on the bike. Here's last nights 70min bike work out.

Tuesday-Bike CT 70 min- intensity – warm up 15 min loosen as you go – build to 160-170 watts; 5 x 30 sec hard – take 1:30 recovery – 210-250 watts; take an extra 5 minutes easy if you like then 6 x 3minutes as follows: The first 2 are 1:30 at 240 watts, 1:30 at 250 watts; The next 2 are 1:30 at 245 watts, 1:30 at 255 watts; The next 2 are 1:30 at 250 watts, 1:30 at 260 watts; Take 2 min in between each 3 minutes and option to take an extra 1-2 minutes in between sets; Warm down 15 minutes. Done! (70 minutes)

So basically 6 x 3 min in around 250 watts with a couple minutes rest. Now I can handle short burts of 250 watts (1min- 1:30) but what I'm finding is that getting past 2 min is really tough. Actually anything after 2 or 3 repetitions. Is the issue that I'm working too hard and then burning out? Is it external factors such as sleep, work, life that are preventing me from doing this?

I'm not sure what it is, but I guess that at the end of the day it's important to "go for it" and if you don't, you won't know where your limits are. Am I working too hard? probably... But sooner or later I'll be able to do it, and I'll be happy because I know that I've tried...

-Bryan

1 comment:

  1. Hey Bryan, hope you had a great week! Any elaboration on the above? I found it very interesting, so just shoot!

    ReplyDelete