Monday, March 28, 2011

Around the Bay Roadrace 2011 - Details

Untitled by bpgerson at Garmin Connect - Details - I can't seem to get paragraphs.. Sorry This past weekend, I competed at the Around the Bay roadrace in Hamilton. This was my third try at this race in Four years. It's not so much the distance that's hard, it's the terrain that can be challenging. The race starts at Copps Collesium in Hamilton and then basically goes around the Hamilton Bay into Burlington and then back to Hamilton ending the 30km race. The route on the other hand is not basic. The first 10-15km are relatively flat and most of the time with the wind at your back leading you into a very false sense of security. Upon crossing 17 km and moving onto Burlington's North shore Road, you enter "The hills". This section is very rolling and can diminish what gain that was built in the previous flat section. The Hills end just past the 26km mark and then flattens out until 27 and then there's a downhill shoot to the end. My race was pretty standard. Having done this race before, I knew how important it was going to be to play smart in the first 1/3rd. Both times in the past I had to walk/hobble a large part of the last 3-4km loosing a great deal of time. This time I was determined to run differently. With a great race at the scotia half marathon of 1:38, I knew that this was the year I was going to make that 2:30 mark that I have tried so many times to hit. I'm running better then I ever have and I'm feeling a general feeling of better strength. 2Hr30min meant a 5min/km pace. The race started and off and I went with both Robs. I was happy to run with them as we worked together quite a bit to make sure we were all running smart and eating when necessary. Many times, Rob had reminded me to hold up as my speed was getting faster and the plan was to be smart. We ran together for most of the race, keeping a 4:55pace for the better part of 25km. At around 15km Rob from school dropped off the pace a little and we couldn't wait, the hills were coming. Entering the hills, I felt strong! My hill runs in training had all been on the treadmill forcing me to work hard for 2 full min at speed and then instead of a downhill, my recovery was flattening out at speed. At some point the other Rob was gone, but at the 25km mark I was starting to hurt... I knew the big and final hill was coming and I didn't want to explode. I decided to walk for a portion just to regain composure and stop any potential cramping. I gave away one minute but it was a calculated loss because at the top of the hill (7.5 % up), I was able to resume running.. (interstingly enough, my garmin file didn't show any drop in heart rate during the walk up the hill - I must have been working pretty hard before) A lot of speed was gone but at this point it was "a get'er done" feeling going through my head and just try to limit any damage and cramping. I crossed the line at 2:32:34. In the last 10km I lost close to 3min but I felt that wasn't bad. I ran a good race and bettered 2009 by 10min and 2008 by 6min. All around, what a great day and I was glad to share it with great people.

No comments:

Post a Comment