Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Our Lives are forever changed

Happy March everyone,

It's amazing how time flys by and before you know it the winter is ending and spring is starting. I've been threatened by Greg that he'll take my link off his site if I don't start posting more frequently. So here goes,

The title today is a real surprising one for me. I guess it's pretty common sense that when you get "into" something, your whole outlook changes. The way you act, the things you read, how you spend your money and the people you spend time with. I had a friend once, who was "into" scrap booking. She had a little part time job over the local craft store, and on her weekends, she would spend time there hanging out with other people who were passionate about those same interests. The sport of triathlon is really no different and fits pretty well with this thought.

This whole thought came about last week when I was honoured to be included in the details about the funeral of Lisa Bentley's father who had been ill for some time. All week leading up to the funeral I was debating whether or not I would attend as funerals can be really personal events and I didn't want to impose my support at a time when perhaps only family and close friends should be around.

You see that's where I was wrong. Although, my relationship with Dave and Lisa is a buisiness one by nature, in many respects it's moved past that. We speak more often than I do to some people who I should be in touch with more often. I found myself sitting in the church, listening and thinking how it starts out as just a thing you get "into" but it becomes much more then that. We, (the people who have changed my life), celebrate, console, gripe, laugh and struggle together. Our lives are forever changed because of the people that you surround yourself with. Because of this I feel like I'm a better person, a better role model for my kids and a more involved husband to my wife.

So, to all of you out there, triathletes and normal people, thank you for being a part of my life and influencing me always for the better.

- B

No comments:

Post a Comment